I’m a product development nut. And I’m a book junkie. I love this stuff. I recently moved to Raleigh, NC (from always blissful Santa Barbara, CA) to work at Pendo.io, a startup focused on helping product managers build awesome products. You can find me on Twitter at @johncutlefish.
It occurred to me today that my Kindle collection was starting to get pretty large. Poking around Amazon I realized that you can actually get a list of all your purchased books. It isn’t a perfect list (the titles are cut off), but it gives you enough information to find the book. The kicker was getting an email from a friend asking for some book recommendations. So I decided to share the current state of the book list with her (and you).
This covers the topics that interest me: leadership, UX, startups, cognitive bias, product management, Agile, management, complexity theory, marketing, design thinking, system thinking, data, analytics, hypothesis-driven development, product development, self-improvement, communication, organization design, lean, kanban, collaboration, and generally figuring out ways groups of people can continuously improve and build useful stuff.
I’ve read each of these books. I’m a big believer that there is never a magic bullet. None of these books presents the definitive “way”. Where there is a “why” (and inspiration, and rigor, and an open mind), there are a host of tools that can help get you there. Choose wisely.
- **#Workout: Games, Tools & Practices to Engage People, Improve..
- **100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices..
- **Agile Business: A Leader’s Guide to Harnessing Complexity
- **Agile Experience Design: A Digital Designer’s Guide to..
- **Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products that..
- **All Edge: Inside the New Workplace Networks
- **Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder **(Incerto)
Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- **Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management (Pragmatic..
- **Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error
- **Blinkracy: A Step-by-Step Guide to Make Any Company..
- **Bootstrapping Using Services: Entrepreneur Journeys
- **Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy
- **Conversion Optimization: The Art and Science of Converting..
- **Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are..
- **Data Driven Design: How Today’s Product Designer Approaches..
**Phillip A. Harris
- **Designing the Conversation: Techniques for Successful..
- **Disciplined Entrepreneurship: 24 Steps to a Successful..
- **Do More Faster: TechStars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
- **Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web..
- **Drift into Failure: From Hunting Broken Components to..
- **Ending the Management Illusion: How to Drive Business..
- **Exponential Organizations: Why new organizations are ten..
- **Founders at Work: Stories of Startups’ Early Days
- Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for..
- **Getting to Yes with Yourself: (and Other Worthy Opponents)
- **Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes..
- Holacracy: The New Management System for a Rapidly Changing.. Brian Robertson
- **How Google Works
- **How To Be The Luckiest Person Alive!
- **How to Change the World: Change Management 3.0
- **How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for..
- **Impact Mapping: Making a big impact with software products..
- **Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash..
- Influence (Collins Business Essentials)
- **Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
- **Intertwingled: Information Changes Everything
- **Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
- **Joel on Software
**David J. Anderson
- **Kanban from the Inside: Understand the Kanban Method,..
- Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster..
- Lean Change Management: Innovative practices for managing..
- Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate..
- Lean from the Trenches: Managing Large-Scale Projects with..
- Lean Marketing for Startups: Agile Product Development,..
- Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
Jeff Gothelf and Josh Seiden
- Learn or Die: Using Science to Build a Leading-Edge Learning..
Edward D Hess
- Lessons in Agile Management: On the Road to Kanban
David J Anderson
- Let’s Stop Meeting Like This: Tools to Save Time and Get..
- Life is Short And So Is This Book: Brief Thoughts On Making..
- Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small..
- Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile..
- Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and..
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
- Nail It then Scale It: The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Creating..
- No One Understands You and What to Do About It
- Once a Runner: A Novel
- **Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life
- Pitch Anything: An Innovative Method for Presenting,..
- Poke the Box
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
- Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The..
- Purple People Leader
- Quantifying the User Experience: Practical Statistics for..
- **Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations..
- Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to..
- Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works (Lean..
- Scaling Up
- Scrumban: Essays on Kanban Systems for Lean Software..
Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases..
- Signals and Boundaries: Building Blocks for Complex Adaptive..
John H. Holland
- **Statistics Done Wrong: The Woefully Complete Guide
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
- **TAPE SUCKS: Inside Data Domain, A Silicon Valley Growth..
- Team Geek: A Software Developer’s Guide to Working Well with..
- The 8 Qualities of Drama Free Teams: Do More. Stress Less
- The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and..
- **The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning..
**Peter M. Senge
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When..
- The Human Side of Agile — How to Help Your Team Deliver
- The Innovator’s Hypothesis: How Cheap Experiments Are Worth..
- The Leader’s Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the..
- The Lean Mindset: Ask the Right Questions
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous..
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering,..
Frederick P. Brooks
- The Open Organization: Igniting Passion and Performance
- **The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and..
- The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second..
Donald G. Reinertsen
- The Startup Owner’s Manual: The Step-by-Step Guide for..
- The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design..
- The War Of Art: Winning the Inner Creative Battle
- Thinking in Systems: A Primer
- Thinking, Fast and Slow
- Tough Sh*t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good
- User Interface Inspection Methods: A User-Centered Design..
- User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development..
- User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the..
- Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability and..
- Why Information Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to..
- Why Plans Fail: Cognitive Bias, Decision Making, and Your..
- Wiser: Getting Beyond Groupthink to Make Groups Smarter
Cass R. Sunstein
- Work Rules!: Insights from Inside Google That Will Transform..
- Working Identity: Unconventional Strategies for Reinventing..
- Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
Peter Thiel Thanks! Did I get anyone’s name wrong? Do the links within Medium work? Did I miss someone? Do you have other recommendations? Let me know …